Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I ♥ Publix

Recently, a friend of mine convinced me that I needed to start clipping coupons.  Without even giving it a thought, I immediately began giving her excuses of why I didn't have enough time to do such a thing.  She convinced me to give it one try... So, I did.  And here I am today, completely addicted to the incredible savings and ready to share with you all!

Now, I know many people who do the "coupon thing," but I have to say... If you're not doing your shopping at Publix, then you're missing out on incredible savings.  Let me being with my total bill from this morning.  Are you ready? (drum rolllllll...)

Total spent: $76.11

Total saved with coupons and in-store specials: $86.99

SERIOUSLY!  Isn't that amazing?!  I purchased $163.10 worth of items at only $76.11.  That's averages out to OVER 50% savings on each item.  WOOT!

Okay, okay.  I know you're thinking, "How in the world did you manage that?"  So that's where my infatuation with Publix comes in.  Here's why I totally love this store:

*Publix has weekly BOGO (Buy 1, Get 1) sales of many items.  The best part is, they don't require that you purchase the second item.  So that makes the first item HALF off.

*Publix will accept competitor coupons.  I don't know of another store in my town that will do this.

*Publix will let you "stack" coupons... meaning, you can use an in-store coupon, a manufacturer's coupon, AND a competitor coupon ALL ON ONE ITEM!

*The Publix location in my town will double manufacturer's coupons up to $.50 or less.

*Publix offers a "Penny Item" on one day of each week.  It only costs a cent with a purchase over $10.00.

With all those things in mind, there is one rule that you will have to begin following for the most savings: ONLY buy items on sale for which you also have at least one coupon.  What that means for some of you is a shift in your menu planning each week.  Before I started this coupon craziness, I always had a menu planned out before I went shopping.  This is where things changed.  I now go shopping and THEN create a menu for the week.

Here are just a few of the great buys I got today with my coupons and in-store specials:

1 14.5 oz bag of Publix brand tortilla chips- $.01 (reg price, $3.19. "Penny Item.") 

1 Bag of 8 o'clock coffee- $1.49 (reg price, $4.99)

1 box of Lysol 4-in-1 wipes- $1.75 (reg price, $5.49)

1 4-pk of Yoplait YoPlus yogurt- $.25 (reg price, $2.50)

Pretty darn good, huh?!

Now, get busy finding all the coupons you can.  Be sure to grab the ones issued in your Sunday paper, plus check out these websites, as well:

www.southernsavers.com

www.coupons.com

www.kouponkaren.com

HAPPY SHOPPING!

I did not receive any compensation for this post.

No comments: