Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Love/Hate Relationship

Everyday I find myself checking up on all 400 of my “friends” on a website you just might have heard of... www.facebook.com.  Yes, the most used social network in the world is an addiction of mine.  But here’s the deal-- it’s a relationship that I hate to love and one that I especially LOVE to hate. 

Yes, there are great things about a network like this one.  Literally, if you have an account on Facebook and our paths crossed for 5 seconds at some point in our lives, then the site will “suggest” we be friends.  Because of this freaky unique feature, I am connected to people across the country and world who I otherwise would never talk to or see. 

I also find it valuable that I can get a message to hundreds of people all at once.  Much easier than email, in my opinion.  Facebook has also become a “home base,” if you will, for many businesses and bloggers.  Lots of products, posts, and events are launched through the site without spending a penny.  That’s free advertising, yo! 

Let’s face it, though.  There are soooo many annoying issues with Facebook.  The biggest one for me is that, in a nutshell, it’s a big bowl of narcissism.  If you’ve been a member for more than a minute, then you’ve participated in the “look at me” party.  Yet some really take it to the extreme... for instance, there are more than a few of my “friends” who post, post, and post some more about what THEY are doing; yet, under most circumstances, will never ever reply to anyone who leaves them a comment or remark on another person’s status update.  Narcissism at its very best.

And we certainly can’t forget all the needless exciting personal updates about who “became a Prolific Planter” in Farm Life or a do-or-die request to join the “I Bet the South Can Get 1,000,000 Fans Before the North” group.  I mean, what did we all do or worry about before this, dear “friends?”

My final grievance which sent me into a fury to write this post today... the constant layout changes.  Hey Zuckerberg... have you ever heard the phrase, “If it ain’t broke, DON’T FIX IT!” 

Alas, I will keep logging in and mingling with my Facebook world, despite my on-again/off-again relationship with it.  But watch out... sometimes simple is just better.  Right, Twitter?!

1 comment:

Helen said...

Klapper!!!! I hear YOU! But l cant give it up... just yet!