Sunday, July 18, 2010

What a difference a year makes.

One year ago today, I took a long, uncomfortable ride in the back of an ambulance to Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  Earlier that morning, while carrying my then 7-month-old (who was quite the load to tote), my lower back completely gave out in a quick second.  As I tried to stand, I experienced the most horrendous pain I've ever felt in my entire life, to the point of vomiting and almost passing out.  I couldn't stand or walk, and both legs intensely tingled from my waist down.  I was so frightened.  That was a terrible, terrible day.

We later found out that the culprit of my "episode" on that morning was a nasty herniated disc.  Instead of rushing to the nearest orthopedic surgeon, we sought treatment via physiotherapy.  After 6-8 weeks of anti-inflammatory shots, oral steroids, and therapy, I was able to make a decent recovery.  The annoying symptoms from the herniated disc still bug me on a continual basis.  I'm sure somewhere down the road it may possibly have to be addressed by surgery.

For reasons only God knows, that Saturday morning seemed to usher in a season of trials for me and my family.  Conflict after conflict, which included anything from relational and financial struggles to a frightening battle with staph infections that would land my then 2-year-old in Vanderbilt Children's Hospital for 6 long days, seemed to be served upon our plate in extra-large doses.  What a foggy, confusing time that was.

As I reflect back on that day/season, I'm incredibly thankful that the life waters are relatively calm today.  I realize that another storm may develop quickly without warning, so I'm spending today with an intentional attitude of victory and gratitude.

All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship.

No comments: