Monday, December 10, 2012

Believing the Much More

Tonight I find myself staring incessantly at our Christmas tree. The session started when our central heating kicked on and air from a vent began to distantly blow towards the tree. The traveling heat made its way over and caused many of the ornaments to sway just slightly. Because I'm a "the more glitter the better" tree decorator, the slight motion from the glittered ornaments caused the tree to begin a brief sparkling show of sorts. I just love a shiny, sparkly, twinkly tree. It made me stop and smile.

But where my eyes were drawn next made my smile grow even larger. I then found myself simply sitting and staring at all of the gifts laying underneath. Where did all those packages come from? Yes, I know what's in each one because I purchased and wrapped most of them. But really... how is it possible that I'm staring at a tree completely encircled by stacked gifts?

Before you fear that I may have gotten the real meaning of Christmas all topsy-turvy and have wandered into a sinful focus rooted in materialism, please know that that's not the case at all. You see, if you would've known the journey that has transpired from January 1, 2012, until now, then you'd know why I was staring. If you are one who knows how our year began, then you, too, realize why I'm captivated by those presents sitting in my living room. Because I'm not captivated by what's inside any of them... My heart has been captured by the Giver and Provider to whom those symbols are pointing.



Each one of those boxes represent so many things tonight. Miracles. Need. Emptying out. Filling up. Provision. Refining. Struggles. Healing. Restoration. I could keep going on and on. But I'll choose to stop with this one: Believing.

Matthew 7:11 says, "If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" This year, 2012, has been about God teaching me what it means to believe in the "much more." And I have to say, those two words have changed my life. No, I'm not referring to much more money, much more happiness, or much more of anything this world claims to offer.  But God has shown me the "much more" of Himself. Through every single fiery-intense trial, He has shown Himself to be intensely satisfying. He IS the much more. And more. And more...

If this day had rolled around and it had not been possible to purchase and lay a single gift under our Christmas tree, I wholeheartedly believe my heart would still be rejoicing. The twinkling lights would still be pointing my heart and affections to the Father of lights. If presents weren't there, I'm fully convinced that His Presence would be.

But, gosh, how incredibly thankful I am that those beautiful boxes are there! How grateful I am to be rejoicing! Thank you, thank you, Jehovah Jireh! Help me with every day of life on this earth to both ask and believe for much, much more of You. With every sound of ripping paper on Christmas morning, may it rise to Your ears as praise to You and You alone.

Gratefully Alive~
Photobucket

1 comment:

caroline downen said...

Yes, yes, yes - I am rejoicing with you!